NJ&NY VFA – officially organized in the Park Ridge Fire House, March 27, 1914. Initially to be the Volunteer Fire Companies along the New Jersey & New York Railroad, now the Pascack Valley Line. The Association quickly expanded to include all Volunteer Fire Companies in Bergen and Rockland Counties.
NJ&NY is responsible for the Bergen County Law & Public Safety Institute, first opened in 1965 as the Bergen County Fire School, with three (3) buildings (still in use) – the Smoke House, the Hi-Rise Building, and the Classroom/Office Building. A plaque is on the Hi-Rise Building noting the role played by NJ&NY in establishing this facility which has now grown into the Bergen County Law & Public Safety Institute.